Wednesday, 23 September 2009

Review - Last Few Days




St Ives September Festival


Apologies for my lack of blogging over the last few days.

I've been having a manic time at the festival and really enjoying it.

On Friday night I went to see Romeo and Juliet with my friends Anna Chen and Charles Shaar Murry. Another great night on The Island - superb performance followed by an afterparty on Porthmeor.

On Saturday I caught some of Poetry In The Square then a couple of pints at The Sloop. In the evening I went to see Hydrae's Festival Of New Writing at St Ives Theatre. Four absolutely brilliant one act plays. I then headed down to Porthmeor again for another afterparty with the Romeo and Juliet cast. Looks like there will be another community play next summer, the play has not been decided yet but will probably be Shakespeare again.

On Sunday I was at St Ives Arts Club to help out with Anna Chen's show - Anna May Wong Must Die! We managed to get the technical arrangements - sound and light - sorted out thanks to my daughter Steph. I then helped Steph out on the desk during the show - I did some of the sound while she handled the lighting. Show was great.

On Monday I took a bit of a day off - there is only so much you can do!

Tuesday and I was helping out with Charles Shaar Murray's talk at St Ives Arts Club - Everything I Know About Rock and Roll Part Four. We got a good audience in and the talk about Woodstock and The Summer Of Love was fascinating. I ran the desk on my own and was chuffed that I managed to pull it off. Albeit on a fairly rudimentary basis - just two sound channels and two light dimmers plus DVD player. After that it was back to my friends' flat for chow mein, ribs and large amounts of Cava.

Wednesday - Jo had Open Studios here in Bedford Road which proved a great success, lots of visitors throughout the day. Next on to The Salthouse Gallery to hear Anna reading from her book in progress - Coolie - about Chinese workers on the transcontinental railway in the 1850s. That was followed by CSM reading from his soon to be published book The Hellhound Sample. Unfortunately I missed that because I had to head back down to St Ives Arts Club. Helped out with some of the tech set up for Rod Bullimore and Martyn Barker. The show that followed was a wonderful mixture of comedy from Rod and music from Martyn.

Today I've been working on various web site projects. Later on its Cafe Frug at the Arts Club again. Hope to make it down there later if I can stand the pace !

No comments: